Southwest Tofu Scramble
Ingredients for Spice Mix
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Splash of water
- 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lb extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 cups sliced white or cremini mushrooms
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- Jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped or whole
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Black pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro, optional
- Hot sauce and/or salsa to taste (optional)
In a small bowl, combine the spice mix ingredients, adding the splash of water to make it into a sauce. Set aside.
In a large skillet set to medium-high with grapeseed oil, saute the onion and garlic for a couple of minutes. Crumble the tofu with your hands as you add it to the pan. Next, add the mushrooms to the mixture and continue to saute another 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and optional jalapeno and continue to saute for another couple minutes.
Last, add the black beans, spinach, spice mix, nutritional yeast, and black pepper and mix throughly until combined and hot.
Top with cilantro, salsa, and/or hot sauce.