Polish Summer Soba Salad
Ingredients for Soba Salad
- 1/2 pound uncooked beets, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1/4 tsp celery seeds
- Pinch of salt and a few twists of freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces of soba noodles
- 2 scallions, green part only, thinly sliced
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and sliced into half-moons
- 1 cup cooked white beans
- 3 Tbsp chopped roasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp organic granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
Preheat the oven to 400-degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the diced beets on the parchment paper, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil, celery seeds, salt and pepper and toss and roast. Roast for 20 minutes or until tender and easily pierced by a fork.
Prepare the soba noodles according to package directions, but slightly undercook them to al dente. Drain, rinse with plenty of cold water, and transfer to mixing bowl.
In another mixing bowl, combine the scallions, cucumber, and white beans. Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a glass measuring cup or bowl. Pour half over the bean and vegetable mixture, and toss. Add the remaining dressing to the soba noodles and toss.
Divide the soba noodles among serving bowls and twirl into a mound in the center of each bowl. Spoon the bean and vegetable mixture over the soba, garnish with roasted beets, and sprinkle with roasted walnuts.