Perfected Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp yellow mustard
- 2 tsp minced fresh dill
- 1 1/2 to 3 tsp fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1/4 tsp fine-grain sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Toasted bread, lettuce, and dill pickles for serving
In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas with a potato masher until flaky in texture. Stir in the celery, green onions, pickles, bell peppers, mayonnaise, and garlic until combined. Stir in the mustard and dill and season with the lemon juice, salt, and black pepper, adjusting the quantities to taste.
Serve with lettuce on toasted bread with a dill pickle on the side or on top of a basic leafy green salad.