Luxurious Tomato-Basil Pasta
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, unflavored almond milk
- 9 ounces uncooked pasta
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh or canned tomatoes (drain juice, if using canned)
- 3 handfuls spinach
- 1 to 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast, to taste
- 1 cup packed fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 Tbsp tomato paste, to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Place cashews in a bowl and add enough water to cover. Soak the cashews for at least 2 hours, or overnight. Drain and rinse the cashews. Place them in a blender along with the almond milk and blend on the highest speed until smooth. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Prepare the pasta according to the instructions on the package, cooking until al dente.
In a large wok, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Add the diced tomatoes and spinach and continue cooking for 7 to 10 minutes over medium-high heat, until the spinach is wilted.
Stir in the cashew cream, nutritional yeast, basil, tomato paste, oregano, salt, and pepper, and cook for 5 to 10 minutes more, or until heated through.
Drain the pasta and add it to the wok. Stir to combine the pasta with the sauce. Cook for a few minutes, or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.