White Bean and Kale Soup
Serves 8 to 10
- 1 large white or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 1-inch strip kombu seaweed, cut into small pieces
- 2 Tbsp bouillon cubes, dissolved in 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 8 cups water
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, with their liquid
- 2 cups loosely packed finely chopped kale
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a large soup pot, place the onion, kombu, stock, oregano, rosemary, sage, onion powder, garlic powder, and water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered for 15 minutes.
Place 1 can of the beans with their liquid in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Add the blended beans and the remaining can of beans wit their liquid to the soup pot. Add the kale and cook, covered, for another 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.