Indian Lentil-Cauliflower Soup
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1-2 Tbsp curry powder, to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium cauliflower, chopped into bite-size florets
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach
- 3/4 tsp fine-grain sea salt or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 5-6 minutes, until translucent. Stir in the ginger, 1 tablespoon of the curry powder, coriander, and cumin and saute for 2 minutes more, until fragrant.
Add the broth and red lentils and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a low boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes more.
Stir in the cauliflower and sweet potato. Cover and reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the cauliflower and sweet potato are tender. Season with the salt and pepper, and add more curry powder, if desired. Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted.
Ladle the soup into bowls and top with cilantro, if desired.